Friday, December 23, 2011

Try to end the panic

A Hawaiian saying on death I just found recently made me fall in love with it! This Hawaiian saying embraces the Hawaiian in me. It is funny, warm and strong. My work with the dying makes these words resonate clearly and also capturing my heart. It reminds me of my late friend Edgar. “E ho’a'o no i pau kuhihewa” it means:Try to end the panic. Once we where warriors, culturally known for warmth, affection, and hospitality. This duality is often found in the heart of a peaceful warrior. My Hawaiian spirit will not be broken; even as we are all separated- I still sense the native Hawaiian in me. It is a strong spirit found in these words. Edgar was dying and his death created much life. I would test this saying out on those people who must whine and or complaining endlessly about things unnecessary; unchangeable.~ Something like “Try to end the panic!” meaning okay already! Hush a face, you crying over da spill milk aye?The last moments of ’Edgar the mortal’ and loving someone who was dying would teach me many things. One being that we really need not complain too much, we have it all depending on your POV. My POV was that of the receiver (of a mightily important lesson.) I was on the phone speaking with Edgar when I learned this precious lesson. Somewhere in our conversation Edgar asked how I was I in- turn spewed a somewhat normal, human response; I bitched, conveying to him about my non-ending problems at work~ he whispered gently in his weakened voice ”I wish I could work” Hope that is enuff said!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here to interact