Thursday, May 21, 2015

Eye is to See


A preface to this blog is, it is very old and written at a time when I was working in mental health doing art therapy and care giving for the mentally ill. i was just feeling annoyed because I noticed when ever I would be asked what I did for a living, responding I work for the mentally ill, or with the terminally ill- people just say the worst things.. things like ":OMG, how can you do that, or eww!" Everyone seemed so "turned off" by my job, and I thought I was doing an amazing job working in my community trying to do something good for the good of others and myself, but no one seemed to get it and in fact it is still a common reaction, whereas people love my work in hospice (usually saying they would not do it themselves) but not the mental health job, and that's why I wrote this:

If the eye is the doorway to the soul,
facial expression is a gateway to unguarded truths. If we are caught, unawares.
You may not have noticed, You couldn't have known.
It was a glimpse of raw emotion seen clearly by others, never really quite seen by you.
 An expression so astounding, Perhaps disgusted, or confounded.
A face I see often When I look into their eyes. like you of flesh and of bone.
 Once labeled, labeled forever only inciting to be mislabeled. Unorganized and alone it remains just a label Human lives and its purpose become defeated by labels. 
Just like you, just like me~ they are you, they are me,
 Time to pour it all out, out with what they taught you, be it your surroundings, other people and groups~
 Human cruelty like a dance when we learn all the steps. Humanity like an infant Never too late to learn.
 Time to exit from stupidity, leaving ignorance behind, It requires much strength and hard work.  Choose not to be afraid Follow not, fear not Understanding, with kindness bound with great care.  Daily it arises, within’ the questions of life “Where do you work or What do you do?” Upon answering this question, Often I see a face twisting grimace and a lack of composure and tact I deemed it discomfort, some consider it “normal” even funny,
 to share how they deplore 
and make fun of the “crazies” out there. 
Can we please just evolve? Stigma once created, and now given to many It is not a stain on your sofa, or just an imperfect soul. My friends all I'm asking, is to consider my goal to be aware of your actions, your potential for growth. Not resigned to accept any bad habits of hate. Empower yourself and surrender to a new kind of change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here to interact